Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Night I Ordered Five Desserts

Okay, okay, so it was tapas style and I was sharing with a friend so I didn't actually get five regular size desserts. The menu actually instructed that you order at least two desserts per person so I figured five for two people would be a generous portion for each of us. But I did feel like I may have gone a little overboard as soon as the waitress walked away and then when she came back ten minutes later, five not so tiny desserts in hand, I knew I had gone way overboard.

Here's what I ordered for the two of us:

1. Carrot cake with sour cream mouse and apricot carrot compote. This was good but tasted too healthy, and by that I mean it was not sweet or rich the way good carrot cake is.
2. Mango cheesecake with kiwi coulis, mango gelee, and toasted coconut. The kiwi coulis on the bottom was the highlight of this one.
3. Red velvet cake with lavender cream cheese icing. This one was my favorite. The icing was, in my opinion, to die for. And the rich dark cake was the perfect compliment to it. Just right.
4. Sea salt caramels. You can't go wrong.
5. And banana cream bonbons. On the other hand, we could have done without these.
All in all, knocking off the first and the fifth dessert and just having the best three would have been ideal. But, instead, I have a bag of treats for tomorrow.

PS, this was at Purple in downtown Seattle, a beautiful restaurant with a large menu - tapas and otherwise - and food that almost lives up to the compelling setting.

PSS, my apoligies again for the crappy iPhone photos as I am still without my regular camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment