Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Five Boro Bike Tour Today Was A Success!

Today was a beautiful day for Bike New York's Five Boro Bike Tour. I did the ride with Robin and it was a lot of fun. Thankfully for everyone, the weather was a lot better this year - last year it was cold and rainy. This year, however, it was so beautiful and so sunny that I even got a sunburn. My tan lines on my hands are kinda funny. I was wearing my new Giro LX Gloves that have a hole cut out on the top of the hand and, well, take a look at the results.


The ride went through Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and then ended in Staten Island. We rode on the FDR, the BQE, and over the Verrazano Bridge. Here are some shots of all the riders.





2 comments:

  1. It should be called the Five Boro Walking Tour. There were simply too many times we had to stop and get off and walk. There were major delays in Central Park and Astoria and approaching the BQE. Add that to riders who don't think to downshift before and while they are going uphill - who then stop and have to get off, others who decide to stop and take photos from ramps thus requiring others to avoid them, finally there are the idiots who think it's a race and they are Lance Armstrong. Some bike riders are more reckless than NYC cab drivers or NJ drivers. I was brushed multiple times. And please it's only 42 miles of relatively easy riding, And its the packing and clustering that slows everyone down. They probably need to reduce the number of participants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I realize that my experience was atypical. I was lucky enough to be at the front of the pack and didn't have to walk much after Central Park. You can also see from my photos that I wasn't one of those people that stopped mid-ride to take pictures. My pictures are of the rest stop under the Tri-Boro Bridge and of the finish line, so hopefully I didn't cause any delay for anyone behind me. Sorry to hear you didn't have a great ride. And yes, I agree that they should cap the number of participants more.

    ReplyDelete