Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lanvin / Acne Denim / Lost In Translation Collaboration

During my senior year in college I had one of those old boxy televisions thats depth is greater then its width. It didn’t really work except to play DVDs and at that time I only had one DVD. It was Lost In Translation and I had no qualms about watching it over and over again. As a result I think I’ve seen the movie enough times to repeat the entire script backwards. And, well, the movie and its characters are on my mind a lot.

So when I saw the new Lanvin / Acne Denim collaboration I immediately though of Charlotte in Lost In Translation. Maybe I sensed the origin of the denim - Japan - in the way it held up against the knobby model bodies. Maybe that kind of structured ruffle just lends itself easily to a misplaced beautiful blonde woman. On second thought, what doesn’t lend itself easily to Scarlett Johansson?

But the more I thought about Lanvin, the more I thought about Charlotte wandering the crowded streets of Tokyo.

The picture on the bottom is of the inside cover of my 2009 planner. Yes, it is the archaic paper kind with a new page for every week of the year, how wasteful! How un-green of me! I also have a planner in my iPhone but I feel more secure with both electronic and physical copies of my simple daily happenings. Anyway, pasted to the inside cover is a picture of a Lanvin clutch that I cut out of a magazine. It is leopard printed in light blue with a black grosgrain ribbon bow, has the chrome and enamel lock, and the signature Lanvin charm.



To me this clutch is Paris at midnight, Little J on the Upper East Side, what I thought of my own black eye-linered adolescence, and most of all, Tokyo. Tokyo on a sunny day by the Bridge, Tokyo in a Maid Cafe, Tokyo in Lost In Translation. What does this clutch say to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment