Saturday, February 20, 2010

Cupcake

Yesterday I decided to try the new bakery that opened up on 14th Street, Baked by Melissa. I ordered half a dozen cupcakes (one red velvet, one peanut butter cup, one rainbow, two peanut butter and jelly, and one mint chocolate chip) and they all fit in a tiny little box the size of a glasses case! They were some small cupcakes. About three-quarters of a bite each. I ate three and a half cupcakes so it was all of about two and a half full bites. Their size was what initially charmed me about them but it turned out to be there down fall. I was so unsatisfied after my two and a half bites of cake, filling, and frosting that I'm not even sure if I liked them. I probably did, but I can not say for sure. I don't think I had enough of a chance to taste them. I guess I should have ordered a full dozen.


Today I had Babycakes for the first time. One vanilla and half a red velvet cupcake, both regular size, standard number of bites. These cupcakes were really good, let me tell you. First of all, they were vegan which I like. Second of all, they managed to make them taste like butter which I really like. How do you make something that's vegan taste like butter? That's not something they taught me in pastry school. And The ratio of cake to frosting was right on. Really good, highly recommended cupcakes. However, I did hear that the staff is not the friendliest and that they seem to have some sort of a thing for spelt. What's spelt anyway? Who cares! They were de-lish. Order on line to avoid the rudes, they deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment