Monday, July 12, 2010

A Quick Fashion Tip

I bought the cutest Matt Bernson gold gladiator sandals at the end of summer sale at Scoop last year. It's rare that I pass up a sale and just as rare that I pass up a shiny accessory so it was truly a meant to be buy. However, I got home and realized that gladiator sandals don't exactly flatter my figure. Oh well. I wore the sandals a few times and then it was fall and boot season again and so I forgot about them. Then this summer rolled along and there were the gold sandals again - and the gladiator dilemma. Only now the situation had gotten just a tiny bit worse. Not only do I not like the way the gladiator strap looks around my ankle, but the gladiator shape is not even in style anymore. I didn't know what to do because I still loved the shoes but they were not getting worn.
Then an idea hit me. Cut off the ankle strap to leave just the lower, across the foot strap. Out came the scissors and my trepidation. Is it right to cut a designer's product? Is it like altering a painting by an artist? I would never do that. But the sandals were not getting worn which was their whole purpose for being. So I took the plunge and cut off the straps. And what did I learn? That making something your own is never a bad idea. In fact, I love the sandals now more than the day I found them on sale. So my fashion tip is this: don't be afraid to customize your look. Scissors can be a great fashion editing tool.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I was wondering if you actually still have your old straps. I lost one of the buckles on my Matt Bernsons and no matter where I search I cannot find any store that has replacement buckles that look even remotely similar. Is there anyway I could buy one of those buckles off you? Please please let me know! I can be contacted via my email: hummyburd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete