Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Seattle

There is something about being lonely that is very beautiful. The same goes for being alone. Maybe this is why rainy Seattle is so enchanting. Surrounded by lakes and one sound, divided by rivers, Seattle is most certainly the lone wolf of the north-west. The effect that the near constant precipitation has on the foliage and man-made structures is the same: to turn them a deeper and deeper shade of pensive green. Having spent my whole life on the East Coast my eyes are dazzled by the range of greens found between Everett and Tacoma.

Last fall I rode a city bus from downtown Seattle up a few steep hills to a sleepy suburb. At the summit of the bus route, perched high on my seat, I could see Lake Washington on my right and the Puget Sound on my left. I was on the bus with the driver but I was alone. I contemplated the great bodies of water on either side of me. They were just there calmly lapping the shores as they had always done. They were no different now that I had caught a lucky glimpse of the sisters together then they had always been. They just proceeded on with their shore lapping, living forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment